Cobble Creek
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Important Changes in Cobble Creek

4 posters

Go down

Important Changes in Cobble Creek Empty Re: Important Changes in Cobble Creek

Post  Chickenmars Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:52 am

Players can set up shops now for a fee, so more shops is already taken care of Smile
And ive got about 12 plots i need to put up for sale, and there's heaps left to buy anyway Smile
Chickenmars
Chickenmars

Back to top Go down

Post  badangel Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:58 pm

more lots and shops would be good Smile

badangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Phased Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 am

Removal of whitelist will probably increase the amount of people on by a lot.

Phased

Back to top Go down

Important Changes in Cobble Creek Empty Important Changes in Cobble Creek

Post  Admin Fri May 18, 2012 7:27 am

Today I move Cobble Creek to a new (physical) server with the following specs:

Processor: AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core (3.6GHz)
RAM: 16GB (1600MHz)
Primary Hard Drive: 60GB SSD (SATA3 - upto 6Mbs read/write)
Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB (7200RPM) for backups

This is a truly dedicated machine, which in its self is an excellent server... however there is not much that can be done about the connection speed.
Currently with BigPond ADSL2+ and only achieving 4.9 Mbit/s down and 0.75 Mbit/s up. The down speed is not great, but can run a server quite well; it is the upload speed that is a problem. The fastest internet available to homes in the Newcastle area (where this server lives) outside of fiber optic estates is 1 Mbit/s up, which is further reduced by other factors such as distance from the exchange.
I have learned that iinet and internode offer Annex M for ADSL2+ in Newcastle, but (as it is a symetrical protocal) it would reduce down speed to about 2.5 - 3 Mbit/s and increase up speed up to about 2 - 2.5 Mbit/s. This seems like a lot effort and money for not much improvement.
So for now, the server is limited by connection speed (until the NBN arrives in my area).

I have made some changes to the server to limit bandwidth, and it is about as efficient as I can make it without resorting to: removal of citizens plugin, limiting spawn rates, removing spawners and access to spawners, not allowing lava and water flow, not allowing plant growth, etc. Most of these options are unacceptable for the server.

Other changes that I am considering are: removal of Clans (simplify game play), preserving the Clan areas (allocating a warp to the spawn spot and removing build rights for all there) allowing spawner use for Trusted and above, including a mob arena.

As the server is no longer bound by 3GB RAM disk (it has about 30GB of SSD to use), I WILL expand to borders of Cobble Creek, The Nether and The End by a large factor. I will monitor the size increase of the server over the next month or so, and if the size increase are sustainable, I may consider removing all boundaries!

Another thing I am seriously considering is removing the whitelist. This poses a risk to hack-cheats, moders and griefers, but will breathe new life into a server that has become quiet over the past month.
New arrivals will spawn at location that tell them: the rules, expectation, about the forum and other features of Cobble Creek. After passing through this introduction area, they will enter Cobble Creek, but with limited commands and no build/break perms. If they like what they see and want to join the community, they apply for citizenship (citizen rank) at the forum (It will replace the Whitelist section on the forum). If someone needs to be excluded, they will be banned, or added to the blacklist, so they cannot connect.

I am looking for opinions from as many people as possible on the above, so I can make some decisions in the next week or so.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://cobblecreek.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down